In addition to being the home for a local Boy Scout Troop, Recovery, Inc, and two AA charters, as well as their respective leadership committees, Saint Miriam is also proud to support the following local agencies:
“Scarfs with a Purpose” @ Saint Miriam!
We have teamed with with Evol Majers to distribute newly created homemade scarfs from our wonderful Prayer Shawl Ministry Group for homeless persons in our area! Our warm, made with love, scarfs will be going to those who need warmth the most! Please support this new ministry by donating materials or making a generous donation or joining the group and helping make wonderful strength-giving knitted items for those in need of some pastoral care! Join the group, or simply purchase a few scarfs and drop them off to our collection in the Betsy and Walter Diener Room this week.
Laurel House offers supportive programs and services to those impacted by domestic violence. The Women of Saint Miriam support the women of Laurel House by collecting and donating personal items (underwear and toiletries for women and clothing and items for babies and children). These items provide dignity and support to help women and children build a safe, violence-free life.
Women’s Libraries at the Montgomery County Correctional Facility:
The parish community, under the guidance of The Women of Saint Miriam, also collect paperback books for the men’s and Women’s Libraries at the Montgomery County Correctional Facility. The books help inmates access recreational books, popular fiction and non-fiction, as well as reference, self-help, inspirational and educational resources.
The Community of St. John the Baptist:
Saint Miriam maintains and fosters a deep relationship with the Community of St. John, an Episcopal Religious Order of women who desire to bear witness to the light of Christ, cherishing him in their hearts, and and revealing him to others. The Community was founded in England in 1852 by Canon Thomas Thelluson Carter and Harriet O’Brien Monsell, the widow of a clergyman. The Sisters’ original work, the Clewer House of Mercy, took in “fallen women” – prostitutes and other destitute women from the streets, caring for them and teaching them skills to earn a living. Soon the Sisters were running orphanages, schools, convalescent hospitals, soup kitchens, homes for working girls, and a church needlework business.
The Sisters came to the United States in 1874 through the generosity of the Folsom family of New York. Helen Folsom joined the Community in 1871 and became Sr. Helen Margaret. The Folsoms donated their former home to become the first St. John Baptist House. Three years later, the Community built their first convent in New York City. From this base, the Sisters began work. They worked with immigrants through the Holy Cross Mission, with women from the streets through the Midnight Mission. Again they founded schools, convalescent hospitals, orphanages, and summer rest homes.
In 1900 the Community bought land in Mendham, New Jersey. In 1908 St. Marguerite’s orphanage was built there, and a new convent followed in 1915. In 1929 St. John Baptist School moved from New York City to their present location in Mendham, NJ.
The Sisters made their convent and grounds a place of spiritual retreat and renewal. Visitors come from all over to both the convent and the retreat house. The work changes, but the spirit of the Community continues to call people to “prepare the way of the Lord.” Saint Miriam affords the Sisters the opportunity to help us achieve a deeper spirituality through several onsite retreats, led by the Sisters, as well as their concelebrating Mass within our parish on various days throughout the year.